1973 Dom Perignon Oenotheque Brut Millesime
1 in stock
The 17th-Century Benedictine monk Dom Pierre Pérignon is credited with its invention after taking up the position as the abbey’s cellarer and procurator in 1668. Pierre Pérignon spent the remaining 47 years of his life striving to create the “best wine in the world”, with his wine even gracing the tables of the court of King Louis XIV, the Sun King.
To this day the Abbey of Saint Pierre d’Hautvillers houses the “Le Traité de la culture des vignes de Champagne”, or the “Treatise on the culture of the vines of Champagne”, a manuscript that was penned by Dom Pierre – Pérignon’s pupil and successor.
The Dom Pérignon brand name was first registered by Eugène Mercier, the founder of Mercier Champagne. He subsequently sold the brand to the Moët & Chandon Champagne house, who used the Dom Pérignon name for its prestige cuvée, first released in 1937.
Both Moët & Chandon and Dom Pérignon are now part of the LVMH group.